Friday, October 19, 2007

Homespun Rolled Edge Chemo Cap




As the daughter and niece of 5 year Breast Cancer Survivors, It is my pleasure to bring to you a Chemo cap pattern for your personal, non-profit use.

Allow me to explain the evolution of this pattern. Back in 2004, when the planet was in the midst of rediscovering knitting and all things scarves...I was knitting up scarves for a gazillion people who knew my daughters and family members who had a mailing address. One of my daughter's friends loved her green scarf and asked if I could make a matching hat for it. Sure enough, it didn't talk long to whip up a hat. Then the girls in the office thought they'd like one, too, and then would I have children's sizes? Yep. In a few days we had a bunch. It seemed at one point that I was knitting in my sleep to get these finished quickly.

Down the road, I started making chemo caps to honor my Mom and Aunt as they'd been successful with their Breast Cancer treatments. As statistics have it, there were a few in my daughter's office who were undergoing treatment themselves. I sent over a variety of hats that I'd made up for them to try on and choose for themselves which ones they wanted to keep. I learned that these were soft and close to the heads and fitted the bill perfectly. Because they were made from relatively inexpensive, bulky weight yarns, I could make them in several sizes to ship off wherever they would be used.


The University Of Michigan Oncology Department requested that I also make hats for the gentlemen and the children who also needed their services. So, as you knit this month for Breast Cancer awareness month, take a moment and ask your Oncology unit which sizes and gender they would like to have. For the gentlemen, I use soft yarns (no wool-it can be scratchy) and make my 'Cathy's Beanies' pattern. For the kids, pick a cute pattern and knit 'em up. Beanies, ear-flaps, pom-poms..etc...and let color take you where you want them to go! How about a jester hat? And while you're knitting away...don't forget to add wishes of hugs and love into each stitch that the wearer will feel during this time in their lives.

And one last thing...for the women...don't do every hat in Pink. While I've done this one in pink, not every outfit they're going to wear is going to be PINK. Think color, coordination, and caring.

So, in Honor of my Mom and her Baby sister, knit these for the women in your life that are important to you. I'll also knit them up in honor of my 3 daughters, cousins, other aunts, Grandmas....and friends that I'll never forget. For those that have had, will have Breast Cancer..or won't but will help to fight this along the way....Here's to the PINK in your lives!

Homespun Rolled-Edge Chemo Cap
© Cathy Waldie, September 4, 2004

Lion Brand Homespun (sample in Boston Rose)
(US) 9 (5.5mm) 16" circular needles, 24" circular or double points for crown shaping
Chibi needle
Stitch marker


Size: Adult Medium

Cast On 60 stitches, and Knit in the round for 40-46 rounds. (Sample knit with 46 rounds).

Decreasing for the crown: (switch to double points or add a second circular needle as needed)
1) *K8, K2tog* around to end of round. (54 stitches)
2) and all even rounds, Knit
3) *K7, K2tog* repeat to end of round (48 stitches)
5) *K6, K2tog* repeat to end of round (42 stitches)
7) *K5, K2tog* repeat to end of round (36 stitches)
9) *K4, K2tog* repeat to end of round (30 stitches)
11) *K3, K2tog* repeat to end of round (24 stitches)
13) *K2, K2tog* repeat to end of round (18 stitches)
14) *K1, K2tog* repeat to end of round (12 stitches)
15) *K2tog* repeat to end of round (6 stitches)

Cut thread and pull through remainder of stitches and secure. Weave in ends. Wear with hugs and love from your knitter as you continue with your treatments.

Note on this yarn: Knot the ends of your yarn before beginning to knit. This yarn is 2 strands loosely twisted together and will unravel if left hanging. Also, because of the nature of the wrap, do NOT pull tightly as it will 'worm' throughout your projects. Keep your yarn somewhat loose, but not sloppy loose.


~~~~~~~~~~~More sizes as I work up new samples to come!~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

Susan said...

pretty pink hat!

Unknown said...

Have you info on making a larger size? You indicated you would be adding more sizes.....hope you can help! Thanks!

Cathy said...

The other sizes that I have are children's sizes. And since I've been making baby blankets/sets for family and friends, I've not been able to get back to this pattern. I think they should all stop drinking the water..so I can get back to more patterns! ahahhaa...