Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ruffled Baby Socks

Ruffled Baby Socks

© September 11, 2009 Cathy Waldie

Must have the book, "Knit a Dozen Baby Socks" from American School of Needlework.
I used the smaller sized sock with a (US)2 (2.75mm) set of dpn's. I used the pattern for Denim Blue, but omitted the CC color around the beginning of the ribbing, but did use the CC color for the heels and toes.

I started with the 'boys' look first, so I cold figure out my colors, etc...

To make the ruffle, I started by C/O 96 stitches with the CC color. This pattern is for 32 stitch sock, so I multiplied the 32 x 3 = 96.

Row 1) Purl around
Row 2) *P1, P2 tog* around (64 sts)
Row 3) P2 tog around (32 sts)
Row 4) Switch back to MC and Purl around
Row 5) begin with the directions of the sock as written in the book.

One other modification, I used a 2 x 2 rib rather than the 1 x 1 written in the pattern.

After you finish the socks, fold the cuff down, and place on your cutie patootie!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable!

Jennifer said...

Everything is so darned cute! Can't wait to see pictures of these babies modeling their new wares.

Brenda said...

What a cute touch to add to basic baby socks! Thanks for sharing the directions! The next pair I make will definitely have ruffles!

charisma said...

What size baby foot does this fit (approximately)?

Cathy said...

The original sock fits a 6-12 month old baby. I use this size with the smaller needles for a NB - 3 month size sock, since babies change their sizes so rapidly.