Tuesday, November 24, 2009

3x3 Twisted Rib Neck Gaiter

After reading through all the gaiter patterns I could find, I got the impression that the gaiter needs to be stretchy but also be able to pull into the neck area so it keeps that area warm. I got to thinking that a 3 x 3 rib really sucks it in while still being stretchy. A twisted rib keeps my ribbing from looking all wonky. Knowing that the skein of yarn that I had was only 85 g rather than a 100 gram, I chose a cast on of 90 stitches (6 st repeat) to see if it would end up long enough. It made it to 11.5" long with only a 1.5 yard left to the whole skein after I bound off.

3x3 Twisted Rib Neck Gaiter
© Cathy Waldie, October 31, 2009

85 g worsted weight 100% wool [sample made in Lion Brand Wool, Navy]
(US) 8 (5.0mm) 16'.40 cm needles
Gauge: 21 sts/24 rows in pattern = 4"/10 cm.
Size: 11.25" long x 4.75" wide laid flat (stretches easily to 12.5" when pulled wide)

TBL= Through the back loop
C/O=Cast On
B/O=Bind Off
* *= repeat directions between *'s

C/O 90 stitches, join without twisting. [If you are a tighter knitter, use a Cast On of 96 stitches and follow the pattern as written.]

Round 1: *K3 TBL, P3* around
Round 2: *K3, P3* around

Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 until you've reached 10-12" in length, or are 3 yards from the end of your wool. [Size must be no shorter than 10" and no longer than 12" and make certain it will easily stretch over a 22-24" head]

B/O in pattern. Cut wool, weave in ends. Give it a swish in a 'wool bath' and let dry. Pop it off in the mail on mailing days to Ship's Support. Let's keep those ground troops warm with hugs from home!


Anonymous said...

Thanks Cathy:

This gaiter pattern is perfect. Just what I have been searching out for my next project. Easy, fast and definitely necessary for the winter.

I will be knitting some of these gaiters for my grandsons. They would be great for serice people as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I knit this for my grandson who is 12. He wears it all the time and now his friends have requested them and I am also making this pattern for my son and son in laws for Xmas! And one for my husband and also myself! A very handy accessory piece.