Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wear a Sweater Day!



In honor of Mr. Roger's 80th Birthday today, it's wear a sweater day. So I bring to you the newest of the BSJ sweaters for the never ending list of new babies from the circle of friends and family around here.


And might I just say OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY!!!!!!! Do I like the way the I-cord seams make it look! I'd like to pull back every other BSJ sweater that I've already made now and redo the seams. Yep, as much as I hate ripping things out, I'd gladly do them over!

Yes, it does add a bit of time to the sweater making process, but what a polished look it makes. Wanna see how I did it? First of all, kuddos to the members of the Knit Baby Suprise Yahoo group. They're they ones who first suggested it many moons ago, then gave me the pointers I needed the other day.



After making the I-cord bind off on the front of the sweater I ran the same process up the cuff of the sleeve. Because I had used a (US)6 (4.0mm) needles to knit the sweater, I dropped it down to a (US)4 needles to pick up the stitches from both sides of the sleeve seams. That makes it easier for me to pick up the stitches.



Treating this like a 3-needle bind off, I kept the back needle a size (US)4 but used the front needle a (US)6 (4.omm) since the I-cord bind off needs you to be knitting and transferring stitches back and forth. Lining up those two needles in my left hand, I picked up the last 4 stitches that I'd put onto a stitch marker to hold them from the end of the cuff while I was picking up the sleeve stitches.



I slid those 4 stitches back onto the front, left hand needle (the larger of the two) and began to work the I-cord bind off: Knit 2 stitches, knit 2 stitches through the back loop and then here's where the seaming begins. The 4th stitch for the bind off is a knit one from the next stitch in line of your stitches. Right? Well, as with a 3 needle bind off...you take one stitch from the front needle and one stitch from the back needle and knit them together. Just as if they were one stitch. Your right handed needle should now have 4 stitches on it. The two needles in your left hand, should each have the same number of stitches, but one less than you started with.



Slide those 4 stitches from the right hand needle back to the left hand needle and repeat the process over and over again as you go along the sleeve seam. Knit two, knit two through the back loop, and knit one stitch from the front and back needle as if they were one. Giving you 4 stitches on the right needle again before you slide them back onto the left needle.



See how it comes up over the edge from the cuff and down the shoulder? From the back of the sweater and the front views.



As I got to the end, I reduced those 4 stitches down to two so they would be part of the total stitches I would later need to pick up when adding the collar. Make sure you do the same thing for the other sleeve.



I worked my sleeve cuff from the top towards the bottom, so the sleeve would then be worked across the back of the sweater.





Oh, YEA! So much better than the less than wonderful way I was seaming up the sleeves. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Add on your buttons and sew on your patch...



knit up a hat (Umbilical Cord hat is my favorite one to go with baby things..)



And finish off your baby gift with a blanket (KBB Baby Blanket here, finished recently)



All you need to do now, is to get it to the post office to be delivered this side of college graduation so the baby can still fit into the sweater set, and you're ready to start another project. Ok ok ok...you're ready to go start something new, even if you have a gazillion other things on needles at the same time. Who am I kidding? ha ha ha....



Here's my sweater to wear today(see? redish, and a zip up!)...but since..most of me looks like this



only brighter and starting to blister, I'll wait until the sun goes down to consider putting ANYTHING next to my skin.

Oh, and my knees? They're in much worse shape!

Happy Wear a Sweater Day!

(I know I know...I really need to make myself a sweater..for shame for shame...I'll get to it...at some point. Right?)



4 comments:

Heidi said...

Not sure if my comment just went through so I'll try again: I love this sweater and the Icord edge looks great. That blue and gold would work great for a ND sweater too, if that doesn't shock the Michigan fan in you! (I'm the one who is hoping you might design a ND dishcloth so i can knit some as Christmas gifts. I'd be willing to pay or swap for the pattern. If you ever have some free time!)

Karin said...

Love your bsj sweater. It is adorable and the matching blanket makes it a great set. Love the detailed photos too.

Karin

Anonymous said...

Cathy! I love the blue Mich. sweater and the whole set! So wonderful. Where is the pattern available? I couldn't find your email address and hate to ask you here but I put your blog link on mine do you think you could add mine to your blog? I really appreciate it. I couldn't find where I could follow your blog. Thanks so much. Kathy

Esther said...

I understand I-cord....or at least, I THOUGHT I did. I can't understand your stitch count though.

This is what I read from your blog:

Knit
Knit
Knit through back loop
Knit through back loop
Knit two stitches together (one from each needle you're holding in your left hand)

I see FIVE stitches on my right needle when I'm done that. How do you get four?