Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Lace Dishcloth



Ahhhhhhhhh it's a 2 for 1 kind of day around here! Here's the companion Dishcloth to the Christmas Joy Kitchen Hanging Hand Towel that I just posted a few moments ago. Now, If Christmas isn't your thing, why not make it in another color? My youngest daughter loves browns, tans, and beige colors. I'll be making her one shortly in a chocolate brown to go with the KBB Kitchen Hanging Hand Towel set I gave her the other day. It's based on a pretty lace pattern that I found in a baby blanket pattern some years back. [ found the information! It came from Sweet Layettes to Knit by Carole Prior, specifically the Perfectly Pink sweater set] As soon as I remember the name of the book that it originated in, I'll post that name here as an update. I want to give proper credit! But, since this was for a Christmas set, I gave it my own name. Please feel free to pick your own colors and your own reasons for making this pattern. Don't feel limited by my choice of Holidays or by my choice of Lion Brand's Lion Cotton in Poppy Red. Now, all I need to do, is to make up a Tribble to go with this whole set. See? I told you they were addictive! and I've got just enough cotton left to do that. But, I wanted to get these patterns posted for you all to enjoy.


Christmas Lace Dishcloth
©Cathy Waldie, December 23, 2007


Lion Cotton, (US) 7 (4.5mm) needles
1.1 oz/32 g of cotton/ 58.8 yards/53.8 m in length to knit up.


C/O 34 sts

1-6) Knit for bottom border

Begin pattern

7) K3, *K3, K2 tog, YO * 5 times, K3, K3

8, 10) K3, P28, K3

9) K3, *K3, YO, Sl 1, K1, PSSO,* 5 times, K3, K3

11 – 50) repeat rows (7 – 10) for a total of 11 pattern repeats.

51-57) Knit for top border

58) B/O in P


Cut cotton, weave in ends, and steam block...and you're ready to pair it up for gift giving with the Christmas Joy Kitchen Hanging Hand Towel (pattern in previous post), or use it alone! (not to mention..you're now ready to do the dishes......)




Here's hoping that during these last few weeks of the year, you have the chance for a little time off with a whole lot of family and friends smothered in hugs! Hugs to you all!

22 comments:

elizabeth said...

Oh my word this set is just beautiful! Thank you so much for taking the time to type out both patterns. As you said, won't be for gifts this year, BUT now I have no excuse for not having them ready for next year.

Jennifer said...

Great sets. Thanks for the pattern. Happy New Year!

DawnK said...

Cute dishcloth! I'm going to save these patterns!

Aunt Kathy said...

I love your Chriatmas lace pattern. I have yet to design a lace pattern but it's one of my goals for 2008. I can't wait to try this one out.

Unknown said...

Hi Cathy,

I'm looking for a pattern to knit for the state fair (just knitting, not a design competition). would you be willing to give me permission to make your dishcloth? I found it on Ravelry.

I'll bookmark this page, but if you'd like to e-mail your response to me directly, that's ok too.

Thanks for considering my request.

Chelsy

Cathy said...

My patterns are for your personal and gift giving use. So long as no money is made from it. I'm curious - are you going to use it for spaghetti covered dishes if you get a blue ribbon when the fair is finished?
happy knitting!

Unknown said...

Cathy,

Thanks for giving your permission for me to use the pattern for the fair. I will use it proudly either way, but should I win, I might have to carry the blue ribbon around with me when I use it for a spaghetti covered dish :)

I'll let you know what happens!

Chelsy

Unknown said...

what does P28 mean?

Cathy said...

Purl 28 stitches

Anonymous said...

There are 2 types of PSSO. which is it from this pattern?

Unknown said...

Cant seem to find the towel pattern.

Cathy said...

Follow the pattern as written: yo, sl1, k1, paso: yarn over, slip one, knit one, pass slipped stitch over.

Cathy said...

Go to the web display, not the mobile site. On the left side of the page are the links to all the patterns. It's right under the dish cloth pattern.

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly new to the knitting world. I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations. I know K and P. Is there a tutorial on this cloth or can anyone help me with further instructions.
Thank you.

Cathy said...

http://wishingiwasknitting.blogspot.com/2007/12/christmas-joy-kitchen-hanging-hand.html?m=0 The towel has all the key definitions posted.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to making this!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to making this!

Cathy said...

Hope you enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

i need help row 7 its not coming even at the end doesn't work how i do it please help

Unknown said...

What is the pattern for row 10?

Cathy said...

I can't tell what you are doing without seeing your work so all I can suggest is that you count across the row carefully because it will work.

Cathy said...

Row 8, 10 are the same.