Thursday, May 17, 2007

Just My Size KBB Preemie Baby Blanket

In another pattern installment I bring to you the next preemie sized baby blanket. I have used the KBB Baby Blanket as the original model and resized it down to a degree. This makes a 'solid' knit rather than a lacy knit blanket so little fingers won't poke through and get caught. I finished it last Saturday while my son was driving.
This particular blanket will end up in Michigan for a Memorial to a lady who has passed away from the AC4C yahoo group. The group is donating preemie and burial items to a hospital where she used to donate her charity knitting. The hospital just so happens to be the same one where Dad started his 2nd round of chemo and radiation treatments yesterday. Six weeks for him this go-round. Please help us pray and hold good thoughts for a better outcome than the last round of chemo. It's also the same hospital where my Mom had her radiation treatments for Breast cancer 5 years ago. She's a survivor! And we're determined to have Dad join her with that same title.

Today, the 'baby' of the family came home for her one week summer vacation! She'll be 20 on Monday! No more 'teens' at my house. And you know what? I'm OK with that! It's fun to watch them pay for car insurance, and school loans, and appreciate the ability to stretch a buck here and there. I love my kids, and for the next 7 days, they'll all be in the same time zone, zip code, and reachable to hug! That is if they're not too busy catching up with their friends!

Notes:
Sl 1 = Slip One
tbl= Through the back loop

Just My Size KBB Preemie Baby Blanket
© Cathy Waldie, May 6, 2007
(US) 8 (5.0mm) and (US) 9 (5.5 mm) 24” circular needles (or preferred length)
1 ½ skeins Worsted weight yarn, (Sample knitted in Caron Simply Soft) [label 100% Acrylic, 4 ply, 165 yards/3oz skein, 18 sts/24 rows = 4”/10 cm on (US) 8 (5.0mm) needles]
Gauge in pattern on larger needles: 16 sts, 22 rows = 4”/ 10 cm Finished size (slightly stretched to lay pattern flat): 19 ½” x 20” (50 x 51 cm)

With smaller needles, cast on 75 stitches and knit 6 rows for bottom border, slipping the first stitch of each row for the blanket.
Switch to larger needles and begin pattern.


Row 1: Knit across
Row 2: Sl 1, K2, P4, (K1tbl, P4) 13 times, K3


Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until you are ½ “short of desired length, ending with Row 2.
(I came up with a total of 50 pattern repeats)
Change back to smaller needles and knit 7 rows.
Bind off in Purl.

2 comments:

Lil Knitter said...

Hi Cathy....you've been tagged! Visit my blog for the rules. I picked you from one of the knitting groups. Love your blog btw. Your afghans are wonderful...wish I could crochet.
Melanie

Briley said...

Cathy, I love your blog, and have visited many times. I taggedyou today, but see I'm not the first, as I send this. I'd say participating once will be enough, though.
Brian
http://360.yahoo.com/bmcgaunn